When I was about 10 years old my sister Rachel, and I went with my Dad to Colorado where he was interviewing for jobs after just recently graduating from law school. I have many fond memories of that trip and felt so great hanging out with my Dad. It was night time as we approached Denver and I remember being in awe at the amount of light that was radiating from the city. The buildings seemed huge, and Rachel and I would try to see the top of them from the car window. I remember my Dad buying us a bag of Jelly Bellies (the first ones that we had ever had), and waiting in a reception area of a large building where a nice receptionist gave us pop. We felt like we were getting the VIP treatment!
We were staying with my mom's cousin, Vivian who lived in Colorado Springs. My Dad had to get up early the first morning we were there for more interviews and Rachel and I were staying with Vivian for the day. I remember feeling really scared when I woke up and dad wasn't there, but then I walked down the stairs into the kitchen and all my fears disappeared as I saw a glorious breakfast waiting for us. Cousin Vivian had made Swedish Pancakes or Crepes for breakfast and they were absolutely delicious! Rachel and I had never had them before and we LOVED them! She had them filled with cottage cheese and had berry preserves drizzled over the top. We had a wonderful day that day and our fears quickly left as this kind woman entertained and loved us that entire day. That was the only time that I have ever seen Cousin Vivian but her kindness (and her swedish pancakes) have always been treasured memories.
Today, I took the kids to my parents house for dinner. As we were eating, the phone rang and guess who it was? It was Cousin Vivian and she was hoping to stop by to visit! It had been years and years since my Mom had seen her too, and it was such a surprise to find out that she was in Utah and hoping to stop by. Well, Vivian is as sweet and as kind as I remember her from when I was 10 years old and it was wonderful to see her again and I was excited to tell her about how much I still think about that trip. She is so genuine and beautiful, and though she is much older, just as I remembered her. Cousin Vivian, thank you for the love and kindness that you showed two young girls. I will never forget you and I pray that I can be as positive an influence to those around me, as you were to ten year old me!
10 years ago






1 comment:
Such a great entry. I love thinking back on times like that as a little kid. The world seemed so big! I am actually doing Yoga at a churh bldg in Highland on Tues/Thurs. The lady does a free class at 8 am, if you can get a sitter. I don't mind paying the babysitter when the class is free! Call me if you want to go.
Post a Comment