Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sad Tyler

Tyler has had a rough few days. We were feeling a little encouraged after he had such a good day on Saturday, but the last few days have not been good. Nothing seems to be changing and he seems so tired and sad all of the time. I called the psychiatrist yesterday and we ended up spending FHE at his office. He wants to up this new medicine even more but I am really having doubts. He has had two days now on this increased amount and he was a mess and looked like a zombie all day today. Jeff and I are still leaning towards taking him off of everything so that we can see what his current baseline is, but it is so hard to know what to do. We aren't feeling very confident in the psychiatrist and he gets rather defensive when we ask him questions. It is hard to have confidence in him when he doesn't ever answer our questions. I have been praying and praying about what to do and since I am still having so many doubts about these medications I think that we will get him off of things and then see where we are.

The hardest part of all of this is just the tenseness that is a part of our lives all of the time. Poor Alyssa was huddled in the car with her hands over her ears as Tyler was screaming yesterday and because he was doing so badly we didn't get to go to the movie that we were planning on so she ran into the house sobbing. I got her calmed down and she seemed fine after that but I know that Tyler's instability is affecting her. I know that we can get through this trial. I know that we will find some answers for Tyler, and I am praying for the patience that I need to wait for that to happen.

Jared is still doing great. I'm waiting to hear back on how his labs looked yesterday and I am crossing my fingers that the BK virus numbers have gone down. We will see what happens there. Jeff is in Boston this week for work and the kids have spring break so I am going to take them up to Star Valley and spend a few days with Jeff's parents. Hopefully the change of scenery and Grandma's delicious food will help us all smile a little more!!!

2 comments:

Christina said...

I am so sorry Tyler is having such a hard time.
We have a couple of people in our family that have struggled with mental health challenges. I have watched the effects on the entire family and boy it can be hard to understand and know to treat.
But from watching my loved ones I have come to really understand the importance of the atonement. What a blessing it will be to be free of these earthly challenges with the resurrection.
Our Heavenly Father loves you and your family. He will help you!
Follow you mommy instincts!
Hugs and Prayers,
Christina

Anna said...

Mental health issues have to be some of the toughest ones to deal with in a family situation. There's nothing to put a bandaid or stitches on, nothing to surgically remove. I would start looking for another psychiatrist because if the one Tyler is seeing now is defensive or unable/unwilling to answer your questions...that would make me wary. Good luck with the medicine thing. It's always so hard to know. But it sounds like you're doing all the right things: taking it one day at a time, trying to keep life as normal as possible for everyone, and using lots and lots of prayer. Have you put Tyler's name in the temple? Hang in there! We love you!