10 years ago
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Itsy, Bitsy, Baby Steps!
When you have a child with serious health issues and also severe developmental delays, life is all about baby steps. Sometimes these baby steps are itsy, bitsy, but they are huge for them. Our latest isty, bitsy baby step was that Jared ate a half of a cheerio yesterday. Now this might not seem to extraordinary, but it is a fabulous step for him. His OT was here yesterday and he brought a big container of cheerios for Jared to play with. We are just hoping to get him to touch food right now. He discovered that a cheerio broken in half looks like a moon (Jared is fascinated with moons and stars right now). We spent quite a while making moons and playing with our tongues. I then proceeded to put a moon on his tongue and he immediately pulled it back into his mouth. He was quite surprised to find the cheerio there and it scared him. He kept trying to figure out how to get it out of his mouth and the whole time he was crying and scared but it eventually dissolved. This doesn't sound to successful but he didn't gag on it! Anytime we have ever put anything in his mouth he would gag, but he didn't this time. He didn't like it and didn't know what to do with it but he didn't gag on it. The OT and I were high fiveing and felt like the session had been a complete success. Like I said, itsy, bitsy, baby steps are small but they are at least headed in the right direction!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
OK, I can appreciate the whole Cherio thing. AWESOME! These baby steps at times seem so impossible. At least I feel that way at times with Kaidence Maybe we will see you tomorrow.
With Hope, love and faith,
Shauntelle and Kaidence
Oh, how I remember those days. Kayden couldn't even touch bread or else he would gag. It is a LONG process and one that we are still working on.
As far as Kayden walking....He actually started walking a week before his transplant and it was a few weeks after his 2nd birthday. So after he had his transplant it didn't take him too long to walk. I can't believe that was really just a year ago! I do know that one day he just started trying and then he was walking around.
Good Luck and HOORAY on the Cheerio!
Post a Comment