Monday, November 10, 2008

New plans of attack

Jared had labs and transplant clinic today. His white count is still low, as expected. His ANC is still at 600 which isn't so good. The nephrologist doesn't feel good at all leaving him so vulnerable to infection and has decided that we are going to stop the Leflunamide (the medication causing the white count problem). The tricky part is that this med. is one of his anti-rejection meds. and it has also been keeping his BK virus under control, but the risk of infection is just too great. So we are doing another 5 shots of GCSF to hopefully get his numbers looking better and then hoping that we can add on a different anti-rejection med in a couple of weeks. Basically, we are focusing on the current, biggest threat until a different, bigger threat comes along. So we get his white count up but run the risk of rejection because he is only on one anti-rejection med,and his BK coming back because he is no longer on the medication that is keeping it under control. How crazy is that! Jared does like to keep the doctors on their toes! I do feel better getting his white counts back up though. As I was reading up on neutropenia (low white count), I was getting more and more worried. Basically, if he got an infection, it could progress to the life threatening level within a few hours at his current white count status. That's a little scary especially considering that we are entering the cold and flu season. So, we will just pray that we can keep rejection at bay while we figure all of this out. Besides that, Jared is doing really well. His kidney function is excellent and he is getting closer and closer to walking! It was another fun day at the hospital! :)

3 comments:

Krista Robinson said...

I am glad that they are getting his white count under control. I know it's hard playing roulette with your childs life. But thank goodness we have the best Dr.'s. They do work miracles.

misha~sha-sha said...

How is it all going? I've been thinking of you this week. I imagine you are in isolation again, right? Let me know if you need anything, okay?

Allyson Hagen said...

Hi Becca! It's Allyson Hawkins Hagen from BYU days. I got your address from Les and Annie's blog. I sure will keep your family in my prayers. I love your cute kids and your blog! Love to you!