
About four years ago, I set my brother, Tyler, up with the cute girl that lived across the street. It was a match made in heaven and they have been married for almost four years now. As a result, her family has become part of our family. Krista's parents still live across the street and it has been so wonderful to get to know them better and comforting to know that I have "family" across the street.
On Monday night Krista's younger brother, Derek, passed away unexpectedly. He had the flu and had taken an aspirin on Sunday night. On Monday he woke up sicker and by that afternoon his mom decided to take him to the ER. They had him stable and was looking really good except for being a little dehydrated. His heart rate and blood pressure suddenly took off and he went into cardiac arrest. The doctors tried everything but they couldn't bring him back. Two hours after arriving at the hospital, he was gone. He was only 23 years old.
We are all in shock. It happened so quickly and my heart has been aching since I found out yesterday morning. I know that he is happy and at peace and reunited with his brother and sister. It was his time to go and I am sure that Heavenly Father has important work for him to do on the other side. We will see him again, but we still feel the loss.
I also found out that they donated his organs. Wow. That was when the whole situation really hit me hard. Jared received his gift of life from a young man that was probably about Derek's age. Ever since Jared had his transplant, his donor and his family have always been tucked away into my heart. The whole transplant experience is such a conflict of emotions. We were so joyful, excited and grateful for Jared's gift. It was giving him a chance to live! And yet, under the surface, there was the knowledge that another family was grieving at the loss of their loved one. It is so difficult feeling both of those emotions at the same time and so in order to survive, you have to try to not think of it too much. After learning of Derek, all of those crazy, conflicting emotions have come rushing back! My heart is so full, that I have a difficult time even putting words to describe what I am feeling! Organ donation is a miracle. I see that miracle every day as I watch my healthy Jared grow and smile. Knowing that someone, somewhere, has received the greatest gift of their lives from Derek, makes my heart smile. It doesn't take the pain away, but it adds a sweetness to the sorrow. I hope and pray that all of the families of donor's everywhere can have some peace, knowing that they and their loved one, have saved another. Derek, we will all miss you so much! Thank you for sharing you life and spirit with us all!
On Monday night Krista's younger brother, Derek, passed away unexpectedly. He had the flu and had taken an aspirin on Sunday night. On Monday he woke up sicker and by that afternoon his mom decided to take him to the ER. They had him stable and was looking really good except for being a little dehydrated. His heart rate and blood pressure suddenly took off and he went into cardiac arrest. The doctors tried everything but they couldn't bring him back. Two hours after arriving at the hospital, he was gone. He was only 23 years old.
We are all in shock. It happened so quickly and my heart has been aching since I found out yesterday morning. I know that he is happy and at peace and reunited with his brother and sister. It was his time to go and I am sure that Heavenly Father has important work for him to do on the other side. We will see him again, but we still feel the loss.
I also found out that they donated his organs. Wow. That was when the whole situation really hit me hard. Jared received his gift of life from a young man that was probably about Derek's age. Ever since Jared had his transplant, his donor and his family have always been tucked away into my heart. The whole transplant experience is such a conflict of emotions. We were so joyful, excited and grateful for Jared's gift. It was giving him a chance to live! And yet, under the surface, there was the knowledge that another family was grieving at the loss of their loved one. It is so difficult feeling both of those emotions at the same time and so in order to survive, you have to try to not think of it too much. After learning of Derek, all of those crazy, conflicting emotions have come rushing back! My heart is so full, that I have a difficult time even putting words to describe what I am feeling! Organ donation is a miracle. I see that miracle every day as I watch my healthy Jared grow and smile. Knowing that someone, somewhere, has received the greatest gift of their lives from Derek, makes my heart smile. It doesn't take the pain away, but it adds a sweetness to the sorrow. I hope and pray that all of the families of donor's everywhere can have some peace, knowing that they and their loved one, have saved another. Derek, we will all miss you so much! Thank you for sharing you life and spirit with us all!






2 comments:
I am so sorry about the loss of Derek, but I am so glad that they donated his organs. I am sure that you guys left an impression on them and that it came into play when they were making their decision. How wonderful that he was able to help others even though he has passed on. Isn't the human body wonderful that those organs can continue living and bringing joy to some person's life.
I am so sorry for your loss. I am touched by the families decision to donate his organs. Tell them thank you.
Post a Comment