10 years ago
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Numb
This is the word that best describes me right now. I am so tired, emotionally and physically, that I am now numb. I am always amazed at how calm I can be during a crisis. I take scary or hard news with barely a thought and continue on as if everything is fine. I believe that most of the time Heavenly Father is blessing me with peace beyond anything that I am capable of, but sometimes I think that I am getting too good at blocking the emotion from reaching me. Whenever a current crisis has come and gone, I crash. I guess that once the moment has past my body just finally shuts down. But still, I am numb. There is no emotion, just exhaustion. I sometimes wish that I could just sob and sob, but the tears never come. How do I protect myself without shutting all emotion out? I know that I have to be strong. Jeff panics if I cry and the kids would panic if they saw me panicking. Instead of screaming out, "NO! Spinal taps are scary!, They hurt. They are serious". I calmly look at Tyler and tell him that everything is ok, it is just a little poke in the back. When they take my two year old into the OR for an organ transplant after informing me that this is about as major a surgery as you can get for a child this age, I calmly hold Jeff's hand and head off to wait in the waiting room. But inside, somewhere, I know that there is a part of me that is sobbing, screaming, "NO! this doesn't happen to me, to my little son, this is not my life! Bring him back to me!" I know that I can't be crying all of the time, but sometimes I am afraid that I don't feel anything anymore. I hear a sad story and it touches me and I feel sad, but I push the emotions back and continue on, protecting myself from feeling the pain and sorrow. Am I beyond feeling?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
You are not numb, you've just had so many many horrible things come at you at once, you don't have time to fall apart. Its why you never see a boxer crying before he enters the ring, you are fighting for your life, and there is just no time for all the sadness you deserve. When things calm for you, it will come like a rain storm. Just checking in on all you, hoping that you are all headed for an easier road soon! Sending hugs from your friends at Camp Sunshine! Jill Winslow (mother of Gavin and Lauren)
Oh, Becca... you are not numb. Just knowing that you have to hold it together for your kids and your husband and being ABLE to hold it together shows just how strong you are. I know that this will pass and you are going to get your turn to take care of other people whose lives are falling apart and then you are going to FEEL it all and wonder how you could handle your life falling to pieces but not someone else's. I felt like the "ward service project" for about 4 years (Stewart in Iraq, miscarriage, NICU babies, multiple cochlear implant disasters) but eventually it will all settle down and you will get your feet on the ground again. Can I take Jared for a few hours this week so you can have a nap? Please?
Becca, I think you are absolutely amazing! I don't always leave comments on your blog, but I look at it frequently because you inspire me. I can tell in the things you write that you have an intense love for your family and that you feel deeply. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment