I am continuing to learn to appreciate "baby steps" in my life and in the life of my children. Steps that are so insignificant to some, are gigantic steps for kids with special needs. Sometimes I forget and start to compare my children to other children and I get discouraged and feel sad. For instance, I was at a talent show last week and saw some teenagers and children who are incredibly talented. Several pianists and a violinist that were absolutely amazing! They are so young and play so beautifully and I briefly felt that I must be failing my children because they haven't been developing talents such as these. Of course I know better not to compare, but I admit that I allowed myself to feel that way for a little while. The difficult thing about "baby steps" is that they are small in the world's terms. People don't applaud and you don't receive worldly recognition for "baby steps". And yet, "baby steps" are often more awe inspiring and amazing than you would think!
Jared's life has been full of "baby steps". Sitting on his own, bum scooting, walking, taking his first bite of food, becoming potty trained. These steps weren't achieved when they are typically achieved and he had to overcome a lot to take these "baby steps". They weren't applauded by anyone but family and friends and the world didn't recognize his brilliance, but these steps were brilliant! They were amazing and miraculous! Jared, once again, took a giant "baby step" this past week. He is no longer drinking from a bottle! Hooray! It was actually easier than I thought it would be and he has surprised me with how well he has adjusted. It is huge for him! It is a lot of work to get all of the calories that he needs from an open cup. But he was ready and he hasn't asked for it since the first day!
I knew this was a huge step and my family did as well, but what amazed me was how incredibly supportive and encouraging Jared's teacher was about this "baby step". She knew that he could do it and kindly encouraged my to try it. She didn't judge, or criticize, but helped Jared and I both to be ready to take this step. She knew that I was planning on doing it last week and she wanted to keep up to date on his progress. When he had officially thrown the bottles into the garbage, we saved the last one for him to take to school and they had a Bye Bye Bottle party for him. This was no simple throw the bottle in the garbage and good job Jared. This was a party! He wore the special hat all day, they played games, they cheered for him when he threw away the last bottle, each of the kids took turns telling Jared how proud they were of him, they sang songs as they took the garbage sack containing that last bottle to the dumpster, they played with glow sticks and balloons and Jared came home with a giant bottle shaped balloon! His teacher even sent an email to each of the kids parent's explaining what they had celebrated and why and how big of "baby step" this was for Jared. She rallied around him and me and gave him the recognition that he deserved. Her email explaining the party brought me to tears because she truly saw and appreciated how gigantic this "baby step" was for my Jared and for me! She has taught me to not under appreciate the miracles that take place in my children's lives. They may not be what the world sees as accomplished, but the things that they have accomplished are just as miraculous and have taken just as much work as any concert violinist! Thank you Becky!
10 years ago







1 comment:
We too have one of our Heavenly Father's special angels. We have never received a diagnosis but "baby steps" have become a huge part of our life. Our little girl is almost 3 and didn't sit up until 11 months, didn't crawl until she was almost 2 and is still pretty wobbly but is trying very hard to walk. She is getting a little better at self-feeding but still drinks from a sippy cup and does not talk, which can be really frustrating... Yet, she never ceases to amaze us. We have seen so many little miracles with our little one and couldn't feel more blessed to have her in our family. I have learned to focus on the things that she has learned to do and not the things that we are sooo far behind on. I know that she was sent to us to help me appreciate the "little things" in life. Thanks, for sharing your story and helping others to see the importance of baby steps.
Post a Comment