Monday, April 26, 2010

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Jared excited to be on an airplane!

Actually we have already left. Jared and I are in Hershey, Pennsylvania! We left yesterday and after one long flight and 2 hours of driving we find ourselves in the Ronald McDonald House in Hershey. Things fell into place at the last minute and we decided to go for it! Last week was crazy trying to get ready to leave for a month, but we did it and we are here!

Jared had his first day at the feeding clinic today and it was an absolute miracle! I would not have believed it if I hadn't of seen it with my own eyes! They have some sort of magic here because by the end of the day Jared was eating and swallowing yogurt and pudding and some applesauce! He had 8 different feeding sessions today. He has a session that is 15-20 minutes and then he gets to go play for a half an hour or so and then he does it again. At the first session he wiped everything that was put in or on his mouth off on his sleeve. He did this again for the second two sessions. By the fourth session the doctor gently held his head to keep him from wiping it off and he actually swallowed it! He ate a total of 4 oz. of solids today and drank 7 oz. of apple juice from a cup! I could not believe it!

Jared was amazing and such a trooper. He didn't even cry until the last session. By number eight he was tired and had had enough but he still kept at it even through the tears. Dr. Williams was so pleased with how he did and he exceeded all of our expectations! I am so excited to see how this progresses!

They have a totally different approach to teaching kids to eat. All of the other therapy that Jared has had so far has dealt with desensitization by touching their faces with food & playing with food. At this clinic they don't even bother with that. They just start feeding them. They are no nonsense in a very gentle, kind way. They are very positive and are constantly encouraging them. They have a sign in the hallway that says "Welcome to Our Kitchen, Where Eating is not Optional!" I am extremely impressed so far and thrilled that Jared had such a good first day. I know that we will have harder days as he realizes that this is what we are doing for the next four weeks, but I am feeling very optimistic.

Jared was so excited about our trip. Last week whenever he saw anyone, even the lab tech at the pharmacy, he would tell them that he was going on a trip in an airplane! He was so fun to watch and loved when the plane took off and was in the air. He is so fun and excited about so many things right now. It is fun watching him discover and experience so many new things and I am so grateful each and every day for his donor! Without his donor, he would not be experiencing all of these new and exciting things. Thank you!!!!

I'll keep posting updates on his progress. So far this trip is looking great!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Becca I'm glad it was a good day today! Katie and I are so impressed with his eating so far today! (Ben heard us talking and wants to know if he can go where Jared is and have some applesauce too.) I hope it continues to go well and I hope you get some sleep!! Talk to you tomorrow hopefully -- Eri and I are working on the family reunion plans!

Christina said...

Wonderful! I am so excited you you guys. Keep up the good work Jared.

Hugs & Prayers,
Christina

Anna said...

So exciting to hear about! Good luck Jared. Good luck Rebecca! Can't wait to hear about his progress.

Unknown said...

bec, i just love you! I CANNOT wait to get to see you...

love, ink

misha~sha-sha said...

That sounds amazing! I would have never considered that learning to eat would be hard but I know you have been through A LOT with Jared's eating. I'm glad he's on his way to conquering yet another obstacle. What a champ!

Abby said...

Yay that's such good news! :)