Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Changes

My life is changing. I am alone in my house for the first time in 11 years. Jared started pre-school this week. The van picks him up at 8 AM and drops him off again at 2 PM. School is Tuesday through Friday. He will be gone for 24 hours a week! All three of my children are at school! I should be jumping for joy! I've been dreaming about this day for years! And yet, my heart is hurting. I am sad. It is too quiet and I'm not sure what I am supposed to do with myself. I have oodles of peaches that need to be canned, but I just can't seem to get motivated.


How have I become a mom that has all of her children at school all day? How has the time gone by so quickly and yet so slowly at the same time? What am I going to do without my little buddy Jared attached to my hip 24 hours a day?


I was never sad when Tyler and Alyssa started school. I was actually relieved to have them away for a few hours. But I am a mess with Jared starting. I'm sure that it has a lot to do with the fact that he is my baby. But the fact that he has had so many special needs that have required constant care by me his entire life is just adding to it. It is a leap of trust for me to hand him over for others to care for him. Wow. I just can't believe that I am here already.


I took Jared to school yesterday so that I could teach his teacher how to set up his feeding pump so things didn't feel too differently. He was sooooo excited to ride his bus (or van) to school today. He was giggling in delight as soon as we walked out the door. It will be a long day for him. I think that it will take us both a few days to adjust to our new schedule.


He is going to love school. The teachers and staff are wonderful and it was so great to walk into his class yesterday and see all of these darling kids with their hearing aids or implants on. He is definitely where he needs to be. I know that they will take good care of him.


I miss him already!!!! It just feels so strange to be all alone!

Jared in his school "van" ready for his hour long drive to school! He is the first one to be picked up.
Jared and Daddy. His teachers want them to have a regular size backpack. Jared's is as big as he is!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Boy the first couple of weeks back to school are hard for me too. This year has been different in that regard...I've been frantically busy. But the last couple of years were exactly what you describe: lots to do, but not much motivation. I felt lonesome having all of my kids gone all day until I finally settled into a routine of my own. You're going to make it just fine, though! Jared looks positively delighted! I hope he settles in well also. He's going to be very tired for the next little while!