Saturday, March 14, 2009

Surgery Over

The surgery is over and all went well. We spent one night at the hospital and were able to come home the next morning. Jared is doing as well as expected. As long as I keep his pain meds. coming at regular intervals, he seems to be handling the pain ok. Although he doesn't want to swallow anything so he keeps his mouth open and lets his saliva dribble out rather than swallowing it. At times like this I am so grateful for his Gtube! I can keep him nourished and hydrated without him having to swallow. He is content to just sit and watch movie after movie. Veggie Tales and Curious George are his preferred movies. I just wish we had more than one Veggie Tale movie. The short one that we have is getting a little bit old after about the 100th time watching it in the past 2 days! Jared is a sweetheart. He is sweet even when he is miserable!

I was nervous about this surgery but as soon as we got there and started going through the routine I calmed right down. I guess that is one benefit of having the hospital as your second home! It doesn't feel as scary! It also helps that I feel like we have friends there now. One of the Nephrologists came by to check in on Jared. He is a great doctor and makes me laugh. I also appreciate him because he respects my opinions and makes me really feel like I am part of team Jared. Not all doctors are so respectful. Our favorite lab tech also showed up at our door when it was time for labs! How we got that lucky I don't know, but it was sure nice to see his face. He, as usual, got Jared's blood on the first poke and Jared knows him well so that always helps. I was just grateful that we were able to come home the next day. Nights at the hospital sure make you appreciate your own quiet, bed!

Jared goes in for a follow-up with the ENT in a month. They will retest his hearing then and we will also see how his sleeping is going. Hopefully those results will be better, but if not, then we will go with the flow! Meanwhile, I am going to enjoy snuggling with my JerBear!

2 comments:

Megan and Alyvia said...

Oh my goodness, I just looked over your blog, wow!!! What an inspiration your little Jared is!! I can't believe everything he has been through, what an amazing little boy!! (:

Anna said...

Glad to hear things went well for you all. Sam's Club and WalMart seem to have a pretty good selection of Veggie Tales videos if you want to pick up any others. We've been anxious to watch "Lord of the Beans" (instead of Lord of the Rings...). We're thinking of you down here!