Friday, August 1, 2008

Jared's Woes

Jared has a buckle fracture in his leg! He was on my bed while I was getting ready this morning and as I was washing my face I heard a crash and then Jared crying in pain. It looks like he was trying to get off of the bed by himself, but our bed is a lot taller than the couch that he is used to getting off of. He was obviously hurting and wasn't calming down so I took him to his pediatrician to have him checked out. His did NOT want his right leg touched and so off to x-ray we went. The break doesn't need to be set as it will heal fine on its own, but they usually cast them to help with pain control and to keep it protected. Our pediatrician doesn't cast legs so we have to see an orthopedic surgeon. Luckily, we know one of those! And we just happen to have an appointment to see him on Monday about Jared's hip issues, so I guess we will get Jared's leg casted at the same time. The doctor said that he doesn't see a lot of these type of breaks in legs and so I asked him if Jared's bone issues could have made him more susceptible to injuries like these and he said yes. It's frustrating because you see toddlers jumping off of things all of the time and Jared just dropped a foot from the bed and his leg is broken. I am still amazed at how the body works so closely together and how if one thing goes wrong the consequences are seen everywhere. Needless to say, we have quite a bit to talk with the orthopedic surgeon on Monday! For now, we are trying to keep the pain down with Tylenol (Jared can't take ibuprofen because it is hard on his kidney) and hopefully by Monday, the swelling will be down and we can get him casted.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Yikes, I am sorry. I am glad you have an appointment though.
We have had a busy month (or two). I will call you next week and see if Alyssa can come over and play with Jade (maybe on Wednesday???).

Talk to ya soon!
Christina

Krista said...

Becc! That's CRAZY! I hope everything goes smoothly for you guys tomorrow. We'll keep you in our prayers!

misha~sha-sha said...

No fair! How'd you do at the doctor this week? Call me if you need anything...anything at all!

misha~sha-sha said...

I may need some Dr. advice from you. Hadley broke her collarbone this weekend. Fantastic, right? I assume you saw someone up at PCMC? Did you like him/her?